Sign In

Remember Me

Trying to stay current – Let's help each other

Homepage Forums Useful Links and Tools Trying to stay current – Let's help each other

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Hello Everyone,

Like you all, I try to keep up on the latest research that impacts that brain and learning. In other posts I’ve shared some of my favorite resources and I do my best to devote some time each week to reading, discovering, and learning.

But, I always have this unnerving feeling that I’m missing out on the biggest, best, most current research out there. If you’re like me, you don’t worry about being the first person to learn about the latest research, but you don’t want to be the last one either. I know its nearly impossible to stay current on everything, but I can certainly stretch myself to keep learning.

So, I’m proposing we help each other.

In this thread, let’s all post something new, current, fresh, and relevant – within the the last 2 years – that impacts learning and the brain. Let’s do our best to keep it even fresher than 2 years. We all know the rapid pace at which research comes out. Research older than 2 years is already old news. That doesn’t make older research irrelevant, I’m just trying to stay current and learn what’s new.

So, are you up for the challenge?

I’ll be checking in often to learn from everyone.

-Bryan

I’ll be the first one to throw something out there…

I read this recently and said to myself, “Wow.”

Research completed out of Finland found a direct correlation between sedentary activities and reading gains in young students. A study published in the Journal of Medicine and Sport found that the more time kids spent sitting in school in grade 1 resulted in two years of lower reading scores! One year of sitting too much could result in two years of impact? That’s where the “wow” came in. We know a lot about the relationship between movement and learning but this research sure hits home.

But, there is an even bigger “wow” with their findings. The lower reading scores were only correlated to boys, not girls!

Think about how often we restrict movement in an effort to boost reading scores. How much more evidence do we need that the brain/body was designed to move.

http://www.jsams.org/article/S1440-2440%2816%2930238-9/fulltext

Thank you Brian. I will try to follow the challenge. Great finding, although it almost feels like common sense already but yet having the evidence helps to make a stronger statement. Hopefully the research based information will help to see more of the changes we need in our school system around the world. Great contribution.

Dr. Margo TurnerDr. Margo Turner

HI Bryan and I will take you up on the challenge! Thanks for helping us be better…and here is what I am going to do…write up an article or forum so at the same time I am staying up with our cert responsibilities!

Many Thanks to Bryan’s suggestions and totally agreed on the importance of keeping abreast with most current neurological or educational findings or research that connects to positively influencing teaching or parenting approaches.

I think it’s good that we make credit to previous research (mentioning a few significant ones) and current ones (could receive greater emphasis), such that there is a longitudinal backup to our work.

Once again grateful to be in team with our group and moving ahead supporting each other.

The more I learn about memory, the more I keep getting lead back to this one very important truth – long-term learning is less about what we (as teachers) do and more about what our students do to actively process the information and concepts they are learning. I know, nothing new here, right? But we spend so much time talking about what teachers need to do differently (and, let’s be honest – a lot of us really do need to do things differently) that we sometimes forget about what kids need to do.

Don’t get me wrong, what teachers do matters. How we design lessons, how we organize the learning space, our relationships with students….those all matter. But when it comes to durable, long-term learning, kids have to be more actively involved. But how to accomplish that active involvement is a question a lot of us wrestle with.

A 2016 study provides some insight. Researchers found that people remember more information (including more detail) for a longer period of time after they told others about what they have learned. In fact, the researchers suggested that talking to people about what you are learning is a better study strategy than re-reading notes or text.

Talking is all about actively processing and engaging with the information.

I am convinced! If I want to remember something, I need to talk about it. I need to tell others. And our classrooms should be places where kids talk a lot. If we want our kids to remember more, they need to talk more. It’s that simple.

Reference:
      Sekeres, et al. (2016) Recovering and preventing loss of detailed memory:differential rates of forgetting for detail types in episodic memory

Thanks, Bryan, for sharing the 2016 research study that supports actively processing new learning by talking about it. I share this retention strategy when I train trainers in brain-based training strategies and students on learning strategies. I have added this research study to support the processing strategy.

There is an old adage that says, “Perception is reality”. If there is a grain of truth to this saying, we ought to pay close attention to the findings of a survey conducted at the end of 2016 concerning the perceived harmfulness of marijuana use among high school students in the State of Washington.

The Study, published in the highly-credible JAMA Pediatrics, looked at data from nationwide survey of over 250,000 students in grades 8, 10, and 12. What caught my attention were the findings from students in Washington: a state that legalized recreational marijuana use for adults in 2012.

The authors of the study looked at student data (self-reports of the perceived harmfulness of marijuana) both before legalization and after. What they found was really interesting; among 8th and 10th graders significantly more students reported that they didn’t view marijuana use as harmful. Coincidentally (but not surprisingly), there was also an increase in reported marijuana use among those students. When compared to those states that did not legalize marijuana use, there was also a decrease in perceived harmfulness but it was a much, much smaller percentage. In addition, among those states that did not legalize weed, there was a small decrease in use among students. In all fairness, this current study did not find similar results in the State of Colorado, but that may be due to the fact that Colorado has had legalized marijuana for a longer period of time.

In Washington, legalized marijuana use, from the perspective of these students, resulted in two things:
      • More students reporting that marijuana use is not harmful, and
      • An increase in use among students

So, what does this tell us? In those states that legalize marijuana, the message kids are getting is that marijuana is harmless. But we all know marijuana is extremely harmful…especially to developing teen brains.

You can read more here: http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/article-abstract/2593707

For those of you who want to read up on issues relating to marijuana use among teens, check out my previous posts: https://www.brainbasedlearning.net/marijuana-is-harmless-right/

Hello Bryan and thanks for the initiative on staying current as a group. All of your three postings in this thread have caught my attention! I was a dance teacher since I was 16 years old and by far I have seen results in many of my students along the years so I have experienced the WOW effect with the relationship between movement and cognition. Memory processes are enhanced when a student learns an entire choreography; it goes far beyond learning a couple of steps! When dancing, lots of emotions take place while moving and we all know that ALL LEARNING IS EMOTIONAL! In Judith Lynne Hannah’s book, DANCING TO LEARN, she explains chapter by chapter how the body mind connection with all its chemistry supports memory and cognition. It is a wonderful resource for all of us, brain based lovers, on the topic of the importance of movement. I would also recommend the SPARK book by Dr. John Ratey. His research continues to be cutting edge on the benefits of exercise and the brain. Thanks for putting up this important topic.

You’ve GOT to check out this site. I just found it today but I can’t pull myself away from it!

http://researchmap.digitalpromise.org/views/network/

The Digital Promise website has some really cool features. There is a network view that helps to link different areas of research. Plus, there are videos, links to articles, and a feature that allows you to “ask a researcher”.

Overall, the site is really hard to describe so you’ll have to jump in and play.

For those of you who like to keep updated on research, this needs to be one of your go-to sites.

-Bryan

Thank you Bryan, so far one of the best sites to look up and be updated. It’s very friendly and like you said hard to pull away unlike many others that I’ve tried in order to learn a little more. Please, keep sharing with us.

What a great site to keep up the good work! Just browsed it and loved it. Very nice videos and interesting topics! So far, so good! Many thanks!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.