Sign In

Remember Me

Study Skills help

Homepage Forums Useful Links and Tools Study Skills help

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

A great resource for parents, students, educators: Help your kids with study skills: A unique step-by-step visual guide by DK.

In addition to the book I mentioned in the previous post I want to offer a study skills tool that I teach to my students who are teachers and teacher candidates called mindmapping. I often say that mindmapping is a way to teach students HOW to study vs. telling them TO study.
      Much of the work of school is memorization. To briefly review memory consists of both implicit memories, such as procedures, reflexes, and emotions, as well as explicit memories, such as semantics and episodic events. Teachers contribute to students’ memories through encoding, maintenance, and retrieval. All of this requires much cognitive work and students can struggle with sustained attention and forming long-term memories for many reasons, i.e. nutrition, sleep, trauma, emotions to name a few potential memory busters. Teaching students study skills can help them be more successful in school. Here are a list of important study skills:
      Time Scheduling
      Concentration
      Listening & Note taking
      Reading
      Exams
      Writing Skills
      Organize thoughts when brainstorming or recalling
      Effective method of taking notes
      Mindmapping is one way to teach students to organize thoughts, ideas, notes, information, and improve their school performance. Mindmapping is brain friendly: harnesses the full range of cortical skills – word, image, number, logic, rhythm, color and spatial awareness; aids creativity, memory, and specifically the recall of information; and its a multi-modality skill (utilizes various brain regions)
      We know that learning by association – link two (or three, or four) things together, can be very helpful in encoding, maintaining and retrieving memories. Mindmapping does all of this and more!
      Here are the steps to building a good mindmap:
      1. Start in the center of a blank page turned sideways.
      Give your brain freedom to spread out in all directions
      2. Use an image or picture for your main idea.
      An image helps your imagination. It is more interesting and keeps your focused helping you to concentrate.
      3. Use colors throughout.
      Colors are as exciting to your brain as are images. Color will add energy to your creative thinking.
      4. Connect your main branches to the central image etc.
      5. Make your branches curved instead of straight lined.
      Having nothing but straight lines is boring to your brain.
      6. Use one key word per line
      Single words give your Mind Map more power and flexibility.
      7. Use images throughout
      Each image, like the central image, is worth a thousand words!
      Some resources to go deeper in study skills and mindmapping:
      Eric Jensen, Teaching with the Brain in Mind (2nd edition).
      Tony Buzan
      http://www.mindmapping.com
      http://www.designorate.com/how-to-use-mind-mapping/
      Free from Google store and integrates with Google Drive – MindMup

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.