Sign In

Remember Me

Motivation

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Jasmine Slay

What are some different ideas to help motivate the parents to get involved with the students?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Jasmine,

Great question…parents play a key role in the success of their children.

First, I believe most parents are already motivated to be involved with their children’s education. We may, however, be defining involvement differently. We live in a harried, fast-paced world and some of our parents work multiple jobs or have other demands on their time. So, keep in mind that just because a parent doesn’t show up for open house or cant make parent-teachers conferences doesn’t mean that they don’t care. I’ve been an educator for over 20 years and have two boys in school. I believe in the power of school but there have been some days I was just to dang tired to go to a PTO meeting after a long day at work.

With that mindset as a baseline – that most parents are motivated to be involved in their child’s education – the next thing I do is communicate often. Use newsletters, emails, face-to-face….use everything at your disposal to let parents know about their child’s progress. Keep in constant contact with good information – tell them how their child is progressing and succeeding. Parents love to hear success stories…even small ones. When parents know that they’ll get lots of positive comments about their child, they are more likely to demonstrate interest in helping at school, in your classroom, etc.

Bottom line – communicate, communicate, communicate.

Bryan

Eric Jensen

Jasmine

Any contact has to be centered on what you can do for their chile or what you can do for the parent. Parents are busy and no different than any CEO of a big company. You have to appeal to WHAT MATTERS MOST to get them to show up and interact.

Having said that I have seen a huge variety of strategies used because there may be communities that are more responsive to one pathway than another.

Examples THAT BENEFIT PARENTS: child car, food, transportation, nurse available, internet available, resources not usually known about, parental communication skills or a way to get smarter in life/job.

Examples that BENEFIT THE STUDENTS include teaching parents how to help students with homework, how to solve common home behavior issues, how to understand and help kids communicate, how to keep them around better friends, how to understand their test scores and grades, ways to help your student learn more effectively, etc.

You won’t what works best until you1) ask or 2) just try it, or 3) asked what has already worked in the past.

Best of luck.

Alicia Alvarez-Calderon

I agree with Bryan that all parents are motivated to participate in their child’s education. If they don’t seem to get involved might be for other reasons, (work, time, etc). I have always been very successful when providing dinner for the families during our meetings but mostly you have to show how much you care about their child’s education. Parents will do anything to support you if you show you care and you are approachable.

I own a small preschool and can share what has worked for us.
      1. Twice a year we offer a personal Parent teacher, principal and any other professional that is in contact with the child, meeting. In this meeting we share the information about the progress of the child and make recommendations. It’s done by appointment and they should let us know if they won’t be able to make it. We have had 100% attendance.
      2. We send monthly newsletter via email, sharing the month objectives and special activities agenda. If there’s any special occasion we just send a reminder a few days earlier.
      3. We send and share pictures of past activities to keep them informed and involved.
      4. We have offered parent workshops about topics of interest. How to make kids listen, How do children learn and what we as parent can do, etc. We have offered this for free for the parents of the children attending the school if they bring a guess for a small fee.
      5. We keep the parent demand short. We acknowledge that they are busy, work and can’t come to school every other day. We make few, but relevant activities.
      6. We celebrate a family fair once a year, on a Sunday, for all the parents to come and share a happy day with the children, we’ve had much success.
      7. We try to vary these ideas so that every year there’s some novelty happening.
      Most parents are interested in their child progress, in taking part in their child learning and activities but they are busy in their turmoiled day to day. We understand this reality, we include them but don’t take their time for granted and I think this has payed off.

I would be happy to hear how this ideas are helpful to you.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.