Sign In

Remember Me

Make your Brain Smarter,Sandra Bond Chapman

Homepage Forums Brain Based Learning Book Clubs Make your Brain Smarter,Sandra Bond Chapman

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Iliana Aljure

I had the opportunity to attend Mrs. Bond Chapman Keynote Conference at the Learning and the Brain conference, last November in Boston, and was quite touched by her simplicity and engaging way of speaking. Mrs. Bond Chapman is the founder and chief director of the Center for Brain Health in Dallas, a well known cognitive neuroscientist and a distinguished university professor at University of Texas in Dallas.

One of the things that got my attention in her conference, which helped me decide to buy her book, was her appreciation on the idea of multitasking. In our society we tend to admire those multitaskers, but in her words – “multitasking diminishes strategic attention because your brain is not wired to do multiple things at a time”-. She says mental productivity requires periods of singleminded tasking; doing the contrary, increases errors, induces shallow thinking and a dramatic negative decrease in mental processing.

Her book “Make your Brain Smarter”, in collaboration with Shelly Kirkland, published in 2013, addresses many strategies and information on how to maximize our cognitive performance by strengthening brain habits, integrate reasoning to accelerate performance, innovate to inspire our thinking, for in the end, make our brains smarter at any age.

Reminded me of Dr. Daniel Amen’s books (“Magnificent Mind at Any Age” and “Change your Brain, Change your Life”, among others).

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks Iliana for this resource and I look forward to reading it in 2017. It reminds me of a book I read this year by Amy Morin entitled “13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do: Take back your power, embrace change, face your fears and train your brain for happiness and success”…it is a collection of rules for those who desire to be mentally strong. One rule in particularly came to mind when I read your summary of the presentation at the conference – “They don’t fear alone time”. I have noticed that many people even standing in lines, eating together at restaurants, and while DRIVING are using their cell phones…
      I have recently made some changes with how often I check my phone for texts, read or respond to emails, get in front of a screen, and am taking a break from social media like facebook (all possible multitasking culprits). I have found I am more productive, present, and peaceful.

Ernest Izard

Thank you Ilana and Margo. Solitude was sought for inspiration by the early church fathers, sometimes for seven year stretches atop a pole in the desert. Being alone and being lonely are two different things. And if it hasn’t been added elsewhere in these posts, gratitude, the practice of expressing thanks in the first moments upon awakening and living in an atmosphere of gratitude, changes the brain, for the better. Someone gave me a little book on gratitude. When I opened it, the size of the book did not betray the depth of research that has been done in how gratitude shapes the brain and the positive results that come from beginning with thanks as you wake up. Grateful for the gift that is keeping on giving.

Iliana Aljure

Margo and Ernest, thanks for both your comments! The Amy Morin book sounds wonderful Margo, and will check it out soon! Particularly what you pointed out on “they don’t fear alone time”… which was perfect for Ernest’s comment, and the difference between feeling lonely and solitude, which are two different things.
      I always learn a lot by reading what you say and post! Thanks!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.