Sign In

Remember Me

If you're a brain junky AND a history nerd, you'll love this book

Homepage Forums Brain Based Learning Book Clubs If you're a brain junky AND a history nerd, you'll love this book

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I consider myself both a brain geek and a history nerd. (both terms used with the utmost levels of respect).

If you are like me…you love learning about the brain and you love history, I’ve got the book for you.

Sam Kean’s book The Tale of Dueling Neurosurgeons is hard to put down. While Kean doesn’t have a brain/science/medical background, he is one heck of story teller and accurately describes brain function by trolling history. The book is really well researched and he helps the reader learn about brain function by telling stories of amazing people throughout history who have helped us learn about the brain. You’ll be taken on a journey from King Henry II of France to the famous HM and dozens of personalities in between as you learn more about how the brain functions, learns, and adapts.

Its worth the read,

-Bryan

Dr. Margo TurnerDr. Margo Turner

This book sounds fascinating and one that I want to read. Thank you for the review and recommendation. I have enjoyed reading and sharing in workshops with pre-service, novice and veteran teachers about the brain and in particular the practical aspects of what we can do to facilitate learning and brain change. It is a topic that is still very new to many in education. It surprises me, for example, how few of my colleagues at the university have heard of Dweck’s Mindset – a book and concept that I would view as very public/present in our field. Evidence that we have much work to do to create better learning for all!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.