Sign In

Remember Me

How Can I Include Brain-Based Stratgies in Virtual Learning?

Homepage Forums Brain-Based Learning Q&A How Can I Include Brain-Based Stratgies in Virtual Learning?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

In working with trainers to help them create more brain-friendly training, I often hear comments like, “Well that’s fine if I am training people face to face in a classroom, but how can I do that if I am conducting a webinar?”

Applying brain-based learning principles can make webinars more effective learning experiences, too. In Sharon Bowman’s book, Using Brain Science to Make Training Stick, she applies each of her “Six Trumps” to virtual training or presentations. Each trump is a brain-based learning principle.

For example, using more images than words on slides will increase comprehension and retention. You can take your own photos or find royalty free images on the internet.

You can include slides with questions for discussion in small group chats, or instructions to talk to others in the room at their location about what was just covered. Talking about new learning requires deeper processing.

Bowman shares that movement trumps sitting. During a webinar, you can ask people to stand up and stretch to increase blood flow as a transition between topics. You could also ask them to have a standing discussion with others in the room at their location.

Another one of Bowman’s trumps is writing trumps reading. It is helpful to include slides or give instructions for your participants to write their responses to a question, summarize a section they just learned, or even to write down questions they can ask about the new learning.

You can find more articles and free resources at http://www.bowperson.com. Here’s to creating more brain-based virtual training or teaching!

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.