Sign In

Remember Me

Helping Teens Build Grit

Homepage Forums Useful Links and Tools Helping Teens Build Grit

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Many of us may have heard of the concept of “Grit”, and some have likely read Angela Duckworth’s book, Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance (2016). As those of us who teach coach, parent or work with teens have probably experienced, transferring concepts to practice can be challenging.

I am excited to share a powerful tool you can use with teens to help them build “Grit:” The Grit Guide for Teens: A Workbook to Help You Build Perseverance, Self-Control & a Growth Mindset by Caren Baruch-Feldman, PhD (2017).

Baruch-Feldman shares author Angela Duckworth’s definition of Grit: “passion and perseverance for long-term and meaningful goals.” She also notes Duckworth’s belief that while talent is important, effort is doubly important, as indicated in this equation: “Grit = Effort, Talent x Effort (Grit) = Skill, Skill x Effort (Grit) = Achievement.

Baruch-Feldman identifies five Grit domains in which teens could have differing levels of Grit: Academic, Social/Relationship, Wellness/Health, Extracurricular, and Emotional. After reviewing the definitions of the domains, and an example, teens are asked to self-assess their Grit strength using a numeric scale.
      She also offers this formula to increase Grit: Motivation (mindset) + Volition (behavior) = Success. The mindset is the “why” and the behavior is the “how,” and the rest of the workbook focuses on developing each.

The workbook includes examples and interactive activities that teens can relate to as they work to improve both their mindset and their behavior, leading to improved Grit. In addition, the Notes section lists multiple references, including research articles and books, to support the activity.

I highly recommend this workbook!

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.