Sign In

Remember Me

Book on Self-Healing

Homepage Forums Brain Based Learning Book Clubs Book on Self-Healing

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

“How to Heal Hashimoto’s: An Integrative Road Map to Remission,” available June 20, 2017, caught my attention since my friend’s grandson contracted Hashimoto’s in infancy and almost died. This book was a labour of love and discovery for Marc Ryan, an acupuncturist and herbalist in California, and a graduate of Cornell University. As often happens, those struck with a particular dis-ease, often seek options that perhaps traditional medicine cannot offer. For the last four years, Ryan has worked with over 2,000 patients suffering from Hashimoto’s. He has taken the best of both Western and Eastern functional medicine and helps patients on the path to self-haling. The Mayo Clinic describes Hashimoto’s as “condition in which the immune system attacks your thyroid . . . which is a gland at the base of the next and which produces hormones that coordinate many of your body’s functions.” The inflammation from this disease is the most common cause of underactive thyroid in the United States. Although it affects mainly middle-aged women, people of all ages may contract it, even children. The name given to an underactive thyroid gland is that of ‘hypothyroidism.’

Here is a list of the best ‘brain’ foods recommended:

Serotonin: avocados, wild game, chicken, duck, pork, turkey. Avoid: PCBs/Insecticides by rinsing all produce thoroughly and by opting for grass fed organic meats. Activities: Aerobic exercise, prayer, meditation, yoga, chanting.

Dopamine: chicken, duck, turkey. Avoid: First phase – dark chocolate, walnuts, eggs, cigarette smoking, as cadmium in cigarettes reduces dopamine. Activities: Weight lifting, meditations, relaxation, alternate nostril Breathing.

Acetylcholine: avocados, artichokes, beef, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cucumbers, eggs, fish, liver, lettuce. zucchini. Activities: Aerobic exercise, soft lighting, gentle music, pleasant scents.

GABA: Bananas, beef liver, broccoli, spinach, oranges, halibut. Avoid: Simple carbohydrates like simple sugars, white flour, wheat products. Activities: Aerobic exercise, play and recreation, allowing others to take care of you.

All good to know!

Lisa Baker

My mother and husband was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s not too long ago. It is not yet well understood by many people. It effects so much of daily living. As you have related, this disease causes the thyroid gland not to work properly. One of the major symptoms both my mother and husband suffer from is “brain fog”. While this may sound like a made-up term, it actually describes a type of inflammation of the brain. According to an article entitled “Brain Fog Matters” ( https://hashimotoshealing.com/brain-fog-matters/), developing good brain health is a key to living with the disease. There is a particular kind of immune cell called microglia. This immune cell is very sensitive to thyroid chemicals. It is believed that these are the cells that are responsible for a host of conditions including: Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s cardiovascular diseases and many more. This is why brain health is so important. What I found interesting from the article is the fact that fatigue is often a brain issue. Often we think of fatigue as being related to lack of sleep or inactivity. People with Hashimoto’s often get fatigue when dong activities that require focus. It seems that the thyroid hormones play a critical role in developing brain endurance. When this becomes out of balance, it is hard for suffers to access those area of cognition.
      The recommendations you made for eating a well-balanced diet is a key step in developing and maintaining brain health. There also seems to be a link between “Leaky gut” and Hashimoto’s. Eating a diet rich in fats and fowl will help in this goal. Avoiding gluten is also advised as gluten seems to irritate those with “leaky gut”. These changes can be demanding in the fast paced, fast food world. For those wanting to limit the impact of this and similar diseases, these dietary changes are necessary. Thank you for sharing.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.