Sign In

Remember Me

Any recent research on neurogenesis and enrichment?

Homepage Forums Brain-Based Learning Q&A Any recent research on neurogenesis and enrichment?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Ricky Chan

Years ago, after giving a talk on “brain-based education” and mentioned about “neurogenesis” and “elements for enrichment”, a parent who was a neuroscientist teaching in University came to me and told me that “neurogenesis” was not yet proved, and the research done by Eriksson PS, Perfilieva E, Björk-Eriksson T, et al (1998) was a rare case. It seems that many scientists or Medical Doctors do not really know about the topic. Could anyone share more recent researches or resources about the new development of “neurogenesis” or “enrichment”? Many thanks!

HI Ricky: Look in Science Direct. There are various interesting research with more and more findings acknowledging the neuroplasticity of the brain. If we come to think about it, it makes no sense otherwise. The way we overcome so many illnesses and emotional disturbances is a small example. It’s not simple, we don’t necesarilly heel but certainly neurogenesis opens many possibilities. Here are some example of research you can look into for more precise information.

Adult neurogenesis and repair of the adult CNS with neural progenitors, precursors, and stem cells
      Author links open overlay panelJason G.EmsleyaBartley D.MitchellaGerdKempermannbJeffrey D.Macklisa Progress in Neurobiology
      Volume 75, Issue 5, April 2005, Pages 321-341
      Recent work in neuroscience has shown that the adult central nervous system contains neural progenitors, precursors, and stem cells that are capable of generating new neurons, astrocytes, and oligodendrocytes. While challenging previous dogma that no new neurons are born in the adult mammalian CNS, these findings bring with them future possibilities for the development of novel neural repair strategies.

Mechanisms and Functional Implications of Adult Neurogenesis
      Author links open overlay panelChunmeiZhao12WeiDeng12Fred H.Gage1
      CEll
      Volume 132, Issue 4, 22 February 2008, Pages 645-660
      This study addresses the potential significance of adult neurogenesis in memory, depression, and neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.

This particular study affirms that Neurogenesis in the brain of adult mammals occurs throughout life, and has been clearly demonstrated at two locations under normal conditions: the subventricular zone (SVZ) of the lateral ventricles and the subgranular zone (SGZ) of the dentate gyrus in the hippocampus.
      Detailed information about the process, and findings is found in this study. The role of enriched environment, exercise is mentioned. Some final remarks and conclusions include: 1.Neurogenesis appears to be conserved across all mammalian species. 2. The process of neurogenesis from cell birth to functional integration is readily influenced by external factors. 3.Despite occurring in different macro- and microenvironments, adult neurogenesis shares similar mechanisms with embryonic or postnatal neurogenesis

4.Distinct developmental origins lead to the production of different types of adult-born neurons through SVZ and SGZ neurogenesis.
      Despite efforts to analyze the function of hippocampal neurogenesis, the precise role it plays in cognitive or emotional behaviors is still unclear

Although these are not so recent, I think they might help you. There are probably more you can look and find supporting evidence.

Ricky Chan

HI Patricia,
      Thanks for your variable sharing and support! I shall study the researches that you recommended.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.